Different types of thermal transfer ribbons…

There are three types of thermal transfer ribbons, and each ribbon suits a certain type of label face stock material to provide users to get best quality print image.

  • Wax ribbons
  • Wax-resin ribbons
  • Resin ribbons

These ribbons are used for making long-lasting labels. The difference is only in the material used, and what conditions they can withstand.

Wax ribbons are commonly used for normal chromo paper labels, matte or semi-gloss. These labels can last long, but they have to remain dry. Also, they are not resistant to abrasion, oils, chemicals, or anything that could dissolve the wax image. Wax ribbon is the most-cost effective option for thermal transfer printers.

Wax-resin ribbons are used for very fine, smooth papers, coated paper labels (semi-gloss or gloss) or synthetic stocks. The printed images are fine, but more durable than images printed using wax ribbons. However, they also should not be exposed to moisture. Wax-resin ribbons are less expensive than resin ribbons, but more costly than wax.

Resin ribbons are used for printing on polyester, synthetic, plastic and hard film labels for indelible print image. These include polyester, vinyl and polypropylene, which are very durable materials. The resin ribbon ink is designed to slightly dissolve into the face stock which adds strength to the label. Depending on the resin ribbon and label material, these labels withstands exposure to sunlight, chemicals, oils, harsh weather, water, smudging etc. They are often used for labelling automobile and aircraft parts, hazardous chemicals, etc. Again, it is important to specify what kind of elements the label will be exposed to, in order to choose the right combination of resin ribbon and label face stock.

  • Samarth labeling solution is Wax ribbons manufactures.they are a type of thermal transfer ribbon that is commonly used for printing barcodes and other types of labels. These ribbons are made from a combination of wax and resin, which makes them suitable for printing on a variety of surfaces, including paper and synthetic materials. Wax ribbons are typically used for printing on labels that will not be exposed to harsh environments or extreme temperatures. They are a cost-effective option for printing labels in large quantities, as they can be purchased in bulk and are relatively easy to replace. Some of the benefits of using wax ribbons include their versatility, durability, and low cost. They can also produce high-quality prints with sharp, clear images and text. However, they may not be suitable for all types of label printing applications, such as those that require water-resistant or chemical-resistant labels. Overall, wax ribbons are a popular choice for printing labels in a variety of industries, including retail, logistics, and manufacturing.
  • Enquiry Now